Can you prepare?
Can or should you prepare for the Academic and Quantitative Literacy (AQL) component of the National Benchmark Tests? Of course you can. Why would you not prepare? Why would you not seek to become familiar with the unusual format of such tests? Why would you not grasp the opportunity to gain an understanding of what academic literacy means? If you do an example test and check the correct answers, you will certainly develop your ability to use academic language. And that ability is exactly what the AQL component tests!
Grade 12s, we can help you
- An AQL workshop — read more …
- A highly specialised book (in both English and Afrikaans) of sample tests and answers — read more…
- Book a workshop (first prize) by contacting Albert on firstname.lastname@example.org; or 0827733787; or
- Order the book (also an excellent move)
Meet your workshop presenter: Albert Weideman
I began my teaching career at a secondary school in Bloemfontein, where I taught English and Latin. There I worked with learners from Grades 8 to 12. Then followed university lecturing (you can read my biosketch here). Eventually I became the Director of the Unit for Academic Literacy at the University of Pretoria. Here I gained a thorough understanding of what to test and how to help students overcome hurdles on their road to academic success. Together with colleagues from other universities, I designed a number of academic and quantitative literacy tests. At the same time, we began to do more research on what academic literacy is, and how it can be tested. Three books, and more than thirty articles later, I believe I can assist you to develop your ability to handle academic discourse – what is called academic literacy. My advice to you today is:
Give yourself the chance to achieve the best possible score. Much is at stake!
Afrikaans NBT AQL workshop and book
Remember! The LCaT workshop and book are also available in Afrikaans:
- NNT AKG-werkswinkel (Skakel Albert gerus direk by 0827733787 of stuur ‘n e-pos aan email@example.com).
- NNT AKG-werkboek van voorbeeldtoetse en antwoorde.