We develop language courses, language tests and perform language audits to determine the effects of levels of language ability within organisations. Come to us for expertly designed
- tests of communicative competence in business environments
- practice tests for prospective university students
- interventions to boost effective interaction with others
- the design of discipline-specific tests for academic purposes
Call centres and workplace communication
APLaC – Assessment of Professional Language Capacity
APLaC is a workplace test of communicative ability (Afrikaans and English; Sesotho test in preparation). Contact us to adapt it to your organisation’s specific needs.
Emergent and early academic literacy
TEL – Test of Emergent Literacy (for 5-6 year olds)
The Test of Emergent Literacy (TEL) was developed by Sophie Gruhn for her MA at the Rijksuniversiteit Groningen (RUG) in the Netherlands, jointly supervised by Dr Nanna Hilton of RUG and LCaT MD Albert Weideman.
TEAL – Test of Early Academic Literacy (for 8-9 year olds)
TEAL was developed by Sanet Steyn, current Academic Literacy Research Lead at UCT. Her dissertation on the design and refinement of TEAL formed part of her MA (cum laude) in Applied Linguistics at the Rijksuniversiteit Groningen. The test assesses whether grade 5 primary school pupils have the necessary control of language to meet the demands of learning through the medium of English.
Academic literacy interventions for Grade 11’s and 12’s
We teach secondary school learners how to prepare for academic literacy tests which are required by most tertiary institutions. Click to see details of our
Workbook of practice tests and answers and the
LCaT Academic Literacy Workshop ( for the Academic and quantitative literacy component of the NBTs).
Discipline specific tests of academic literacy
- TAL – Test of Academic Literacy for Prospective Students of Nursing
- Test of academic literacy for disaster management at postgraduate level
- Test of academic literacy for certified financial planners
We can develop a test or a language course for your needs.
We take the guesswork out of judgements of language ability.