How can I attend an LCaT workshop?
- Your school – can request a workshop to prepare you for the National Benchmark Test (NBT) AQL test, or any other academic literacy test required by a university. Unless presented in Bloemfontein or Pretoria, a minimum of 20 participants is normally required.
- Individuals – can request a one-on-one session or a workshop for a small group, in Pretoria or Bloemfontein.
Prof. Albert Weideman
082 773 3787
For Pretoria and environs:
Mr Stef Ferreira
083 274 8591
012 460 2924
Why should I attend an LCaT workshop?
Universities worldwide require prospective students to complete academic literacy tests. In South Africa many universities require you to write a language test; the National Benchmark Tests (NBTs), for example, are required by a significant number. In order to submit your application to them, your NBT results need to be available. The NBTs are written at various venues throughout South Africa and you have probably already booked your place. The big question now remains:
Can I prepare for the NBT?
Of course you can. Whilst you cannot study and memorise any specific subject matter, exercises with answers can hone your academic thinking skills. What is more, you will become familiar with the format and types of questions of the NBTs, which are quite different from tests and exams that you are used to. Purple Pepper Maths will help you achieve the best possible results on the Maths component, whereas LCaT, in partnership with Magic Camel Communications, will prepare you for the Academic and Quantitative Literacy (AQL) component.
The LCaT workshop is overseen by Albert Weideman, author of several research publications on academic literacy and an expert language tester (see biosketch). Albert spearheaded the development of a range of tests of academic literacy, notably TALL, a compulsory placement test for first year students at North-West University.
Wiify? (What’s in it for you?)
- A three-hour workshop
- Tasks and exercises to assess your language ability
- Feedback on your assessment
Cost: R550 per student, including a workbook with practice tests. Click to see more information on the books and their authors.
- Academic Literacy: Test your competence / edited by Albert Weideman and Tobie van Dyk
- Akademiese geletterdheid: Toets jou vermoë / saamgestel deur Tobie van Dyk en Albert Weideman
Who’s done it before?
LCaT has received excellent feedback on their English and Afrikaans workshops at leading schools.
2017 – Eunice High School, Bloemfontein
2017 – Oranje Meisieskool, Bloemfontein
2017 – Hoërskool Waterkloof, Pretoria
2017 – Crawford College, Pretoria
2017 – Hoërskool Witteberg, Bethlehem
2016 – Hoërskool Waterkloof, Pretoria
2016 – Eunice High School, Bloemfontein