How can I attend an LCaT workshop?
- Your school – can request a workshop to prepare you for any academic literacy test required by a university, including the National Benchmark Test (NBT) AQL test.
- Online workshops – we conduct online workshops via Skype or Google Classroom. First order our book of practice tests from Geronimo Distribution, then book a slot, and arrange for payment (R350). For more information, click here.
- Individuals – can request a one-on-one session or a workshop for a small group in Hermanus. Cost: R450 (includes workbook). Email Prof. Albert Weideman (email@example.com); phone 0827733787.
We adhere to strict Covid-19 protocols.
Prof. Albert Weideman
082 773 3787
028 314 0144
Why should I attend an LCaT workshop?
Universities worldwide require prospective students to complete academic literacy tests. In South Africa many universities require you to write a language test; the National Benchmark Tests (NBTs), for example, are required by a significant number. The big question is:
Can I prepare for academic literacy tests such as the NBT?
Of course you can. While you cannot study and memorise any specific subject matter, exercises with answers can create awareness and skill in the use of academic language. What is more, you will become familiar with the format and types of questions of these tests, which may be different from tests and exams that you are used to. This will give you a definite advantage. LCaT will prepare you for any academic and quantitative literacy (AQL) test, while Purple Pepper Maths will help you achieve the best possible results in mathematics.
The LCaT workshop is presented by Prof. Albert Weideman, author of several research publications on academic literacy and an expert language tester (see biosketch). Albert spearheaded the development of a range of tests of academic literacy, notably TALL, a compulsory placement test for first year students at North-West University.
Wiify? (What’s in it for you?)
- A three-hour workshop
- Tasks and exercises to assess your language ability
- Feedback on your assessment
We are the experts in academic literacy. For Maths, you need Purple Pepper Maths: they are tops.
Who’s done it before?
LCaT has received excellent feedback on their English and Afrikaans workshops at leading schools.
2021 – Alma Mater International School, Krugersdorp (Online)
2021 – More than 100 Grade 11s from schools across the country (Online in collaboration with SOS and Purple Pepper Maths)
2020 – Hoërskool Sentraal, Bloemfontein
2020 – Crawford College, Pretoria
2019 – Hermanus High School and Hoërskool Swartland, Hermanus
2019 – Hoërskool Linden, Johannesburg
2019 – Hoërskool Waterkloof, Pretoria
2019 – Crawford College, Pretoria
2019 – Hoërskool Witteberg, Bethlehem
2018 – Crawford College, Pretoria
2018 – Hoërskool Witteberg, Bethlehem
2018 – Hoërskool Waterkloof, Pretoria
2017 – Eunice High School, Bloemfontein
2017 – Oranje Meisieskool, Bloemfontein
2017 – Hoërskool Waterkloof, Pretoria
2017 – Crawford College, Pretoria
2016 – Hoërskool Waterkloof, Pretoria
2016 – Eunice High School, Bloemfontein