How can I attend an LCaT workshop?
- Your school – can request a workshop to prepare you for any academic literacy test required by a university, including the National Benchmark Test (NBT) AQL test.
- Individuals – can request a one-on-one session or a workshop for a small group, in Cape Town, Hermanus or in Pretoria.
Prof. Albert Weideman
082 773 3787
028 314 0144
Why should I attend an LCaT workshop?
Universities worldwide require prospective students to complete academic literacy tests. In South Africa many universities require you to write a language test; the National Benchmark Tests (NBTs), for example, are required by a significant number. The big question is:
Can I prepare for academic literacy tests such as the NBT?
Of course you can. While you cannot study and memorise any specific subject matter, exercises with answers can create awareness and skill in the use of academic language. What is more, you will become familiar with the format and types of questions of these tests, which may be different from tests and exams that you are used to. This will give you a definite advantage. LCaT will prepare you for any academic and quantitative literacy (AQL) test, while Purple Pepper Maths will help you achieve the best possible results in mathematics.
The LCaT workshop is overseen by Albert Weideman, author of several research publications on academic literacy and an expert language tester (see biosketch). Albert spearheaded the development of a range of tests of academic literacy, notably TALL, a compulsory placement test for first year students at North-West University.
Wiify? (What’s in it for you?)
- A three-hour workshop
- Tasks and exercises to assess your language ability
- Feedback on your assessment
Cost: R550 per student, including a workbook with practice tests:
- Academic literacy: Five new tests / Albert Weideman
- Akademiese geletterdheid: Vyf nuwe toetse / Albert Weideman; Stef Ferreira (vertaler)
Who’s done it before?
LCaT has received excellent feedback on their English and Afrikaans workshops at leading schools.
2018 – Crawford College, Pretoria (pending)
2018 – Hoërskool Witteberg, Bethlehem (completed)
2018 – Hoërskool Waterkloof, Pretoria (completed)
2017 – Eunice High School, Bloemfontein
2017 – Oranje Meisieskool, Bloemfontein
2017 – Hoërskool Waterkloof, Pretoria
2017 – Crawford College, Pretoria
2016 – Hoërskool Waterkloof, Pretoria
2016 – Eunice High School, Bloemfontein